Friday, November 30, 2012

What Makes Me Mad


Anger is a strange thing; one never knows what might set a person off and then there are varied levels of anger, such as frustration, irritation, rage, and of course “merely upset.” On top of that, there are varied levels of life circumstances that can initiate anger, not limited to issues with parents, job, politics and religion.

Well recently, something normally miniscule made me angry. I raced home between appointments to make some lunch; it is healthy-ish, good for the budget, and satisfying, right? I opened some extra sharp cheddar cheese and made a quesadilla. I hate it when there are dishes left out, so while lunch was heating up, I decided to clean up and put everything back. Time-efficiency is my long, underrated, middle name.

Everyone knows that cheese has to be wrapped up as tightly as possible so that it doesn’t get moldy. So before I put it into a Ziploc bag, I decided to first wrap it in plastic wrap and THEN put it into the plastic bag. That is when I got angry. The plastic wrap box normally comes with a serrated edge so you can tear off the plastic. But the box at my house had part of the jagged edge missing. Have you ever tried to separate a piece of plastic wrap from itself by just stretching it? It is maddening.
Please it is never THAT easy:
There is no moral to this story, no great ending, just proving the ridiculousness of humanity. We can create plastic so thin that it can be stretched, but for some reason we cannot figure out how to cut it. We think we know everything. But it is proven over and over that we are stumped by the seemingly stupid. In this case, I lost out to a box. What else do I assume I know? 

I wonder if this is ever how God thinks about us, people, humanity? Yes, I know, God is a God of love. But you can love and still be angry or upset, right? I just wonder if He ever looks down and sees the freaking marvel of what is the human body, and then sees the talents and goodness he has given to each person, and then sees it misused, abused, or even worse, NOT used. I am specifically referring to those that pretend they are not good at anything. We are so afraid of arrogance and pride that we don’t embrace the talents or giftings we have been given. Instead of excelling we hide that piece of knowledge we have, or we shrug off leadership and sit passively by.

I am suggesting we stop being falsely humble, embrace what we are good at to benefit others, and live in triumph. And before I really get on my soap box, I’ll end this soon-to-be-too-long entry and suggest that you get on with it! Life is too short to live in mediocrity!
What do you think?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment