Monday, December 3, 2012

This One Horse Town


For some reason, Modesto gets a bad rap. Ok, there are lots of things that may negatively influence a person’s view on this town, but nothing will change unless we look at the positive, right? If you don’t enjoy where you live, then perhaps YOU are not contributing? I have decided to highlight a few of my favorite places in this town so that maybe they will bring you some joy too?!

As a product of the 80’s, I am very familiar with that old show “Cheers”, you know, where “Everybody knows your name.” I want to pause a second, so that song becomes stuck in your head, perhaps a quick listen will be sweetly nostalgic for you. This is not my video, I found it on YouTube.


Well, friends, we have a place like that in Modesto and that place is Camp 4.  You walk into a stylish yet comfortable environment, and are greeted by the best staff a wine bar could present. And before this becomes another boring “review” (as my intention is not to rate an establishment, but show you the good things Modesto has to offer), I just say that if you want a place to hang out, this place has great wine, beer, people, and of course my favorite, the 3-cheese-panino.  Check them out here on Facebook.

Downtown Modesto is becoming a more welcoming and visually appeasing place too! If you are not between the ages of 18-20, then perhaps you are tired of the “club” scene downtown (I am sure you noted my sarcasm by my use of quotation marks)? Well, they are beginning to create “parklets” downtown, and although this may not be a finished work, it is definitely a starting point!  If you are interested in getting involved, even if you just want to show that you appreciate this work, perhaps send an email or write to the City of Modesto and let them know you back them up on these types of city beautification projects? If you don’t tell the city that you want this, they are not going to spend money on it! Here is a brief article on the downtown "parklets."

 Are you newer to the area and looking for some sort of community to join? I know of just the place! Now, I am first going to add the caveat that there are a TON of churches in Modesto, lots of good ones, but the one I have been attending is different than others I have visited. It is a community.  It is a place where you can deal with your ugliness in safety. Yes, there are two services on Sunday; Yes, it is unlikely that you will sit long before someone walks up to you to meet you; Yes, God is spoken as One in whom you can find your purpose, identity and acceptance. But on top of all these things, the whole, crowded, lively place is divided up into community groups that meet over the week to share life (The good, bad and ugly). You know what that means? It means all these people actually like each other AND they welcome others to participate. As a whole, this is one friendly, adventure seeking, artistic, musical, God finding, food loving community.  This place is Redeemer Church. Here is a link for more information, or just ask me!

Finally, one of my favorite places is the Virginia Corridor. You know, the pedestrian path that runs along the old train tracks alongside Virginia Avenue? I love this path! It is pretty, safely lit, and long enough now to get in a good walk or a decent run. Now that the pedestrian bridge over Briggsmore Ave. has been completed, the path has extended to Bowen Ave. They have a doggie water fountain on one end, doggie clean up bags and trash cans at every street intersection. Additionally, the path runs up behind Roseburg Square, which means you can stop for frozen yogurt or amazing Mexican food if you need a break. Winning! This is a great trail and I fully suggest you get some exercise on it, and bring a friend (me)! Here are a couple of pictures I found online:


I am reading back now and see that I have written a lot. So I won’t add any more locations, but I do want to add that the best things about Modesto are its people! I love being able to walk into Starbucks, Target, the grocery store, and see people I know.  I would guess that a large number of us have stayed here because our families are here. Use that to your advantage, the more we hang out with each other and get into each other’s lives, the more fun this place can be! So make it a better place! Invite people into your home, or go try new dinner locations and bring new friends with you, be creative and be a part of this city!
Annual Oktoberfest Event 
 Breast Cancer Awareness Benefit
 Camp 4
 A community group dinner
 Another community group dinner
 Ice blocking
 

I am sure there are a TON of places that I should have listed but don’t know about. Will you post the places you love below so we can all try them out?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment