Friday, February 1, 2013

Funny Friday

Some days are just full of funny little nuances that need to be intentionally noticed in order to entertain.  I have had such a day.

Last night a friend and I decided that we would take a spin class this morning. Spin classes are offered at most gyms and consist of stationary bikes, a small room, loud music, an instructor up front giving directions and lots, I mean LOTS of sweat.  One thing I have yet to mention is that often times spin classes are offered at an early morning time slot and at an evening time slot, so we decided to go to the early class as this is Friday and it is unlikely that I will have time, or desire to go to the gym on a Friday night (I am trying to give the illusion of “having a life”, is it working?), so this entire paragraph was to let you know that my day started at 4:30am.
Because I had to get up so early, I was not quite fully awake before I left the house. I thought I would chow down on an apple for some quick energy, I grabbed the apple, and promptly dropped it, practically threw it, on the hard tile, and watched it bounce about 3 times before I caught it….when I say “watched” I also mean “heard” as the apple was of the Granny Smith variety, the floor was made of hard tile and the house was quiet, so perfect bounce/sound combination.  I tweeted earlier (@adrienneyerzy) that I decided I could be described as a “hopeful” person since only such a person would dare think that the apple wouldn’t be too bruised for consumption after such a fight with the ground. It was delicious.

After the spin class I thought about how gyms should offer take out, not fast food, but for people. I just started working out again this week (at some point I will post about why I have been unable to work out) and because I did so many squats with so little muscle, post cycling me was pretty weak and I am just saying that it would have been nice if someone offered to take me out to my car.

I drove home and dragged my body into the house at about 6:10am and thought, “now what?” The thought of watching an episode of  “The Office” quickly entered my mind, but I didn’t want to tempt myself as one episode leads to another episode, and so on and so forth.  I didn’t have to drive to work for a while so I kind of just stood there lost for a few minutes, but finally the thought occurred to me to make breakfast (my favorite meal type) so I made some killer oatmeal (raisins, lots of cinnamon, a little brown sugar). As I re-read this I realize that you might not think it too funny, but if you could just picture me standing dazed in my own kitchen wondering if I should watch Dwight and “The Office” at 6:10 in the morning….well, I think it is funny so I am keeping this tidbit in.

At this point, actually around 7am every Friday, I have a heart to heart with myself regarding my office’s policy of allowing “Casual Friday.” Normally, I have to dress in business attire for work, but not on Fridays! I am always questioning if I have taken advantage of casual Friday and am often questioning where I should draw “THE line.” After much inner dialogue, I have decided that I cannot wear baseball hats, or any hat for that matter, but I CAN (and will) wear jeans. Today I threw on a sweater, skinny jeans (pushing the edge here), and boots. I will never be accused of not taking casual Friday seriously enough.
I finally got to work at 8am, with vanilla latte in hand (obviously) but soon after had to leave to go to the Court to file some documents. If you have ever had to file anything with the legal system, you will know that there is a LOT of waiting time and lots of opportunity to “people watch” and I was not disappointed this time. To my left, out of the corner of my eye I saw something sparkle. I turned to see what it was and it was a lady wearing some sort of purple pompom on her head. This was not a like a cute little hair tie with something fluffy attached, it was like a full sized, cheerleader’s pompom in lieu of hair…on her head. Based on my personal reaction to “pompom head”, I can only conclude that we likely all agree that one must not wear something so outrageously out of the ordinary on their head if one wishes to be taken seriously.

I continued to wait in line and noticed that behind the counter there were hearts everywhere. Red hearts hanging from the ceiling, sticker hearts sticking to the plastic windows, paper hearts pinned to the cubicle walls, I mean love was in the air, people. The place looked like it should be called “lover’s lane” unfortunately, there were few waiting in line waiting to take a magical walk, most people would have been happy with stamped papers, or just reasonable answers to their questions in a time sensitive manner.
(Side note: Speaking of “lovers” I am currently witnessing a “connection” being made at Starbucks. Awe...or more accurately, awkward. I hate witnessing awkward moments, even though I may not be  the target for the awkwardness fairy, I'll blush. Sigh.)

After I finished filing the documents, I drove back to work… and soon prepared to go home (we have a half day on Friday). Before I drove out of the parking lot, I got a notification from Facebook telling me that someone posted a photo on my wall. The photo is of my friend Bri, who I met in Australia but now lives in Florida.  Bri is a blogger for Compassion International as well as for a personal site and the photo was posted by my California friend, Kendra, who is has a blog for moms with young kids. The amazing thing about this little FB interaction is that Bri and Kendra, although they are my friends, didn’t know each other. Both of them told me that they were invited to a blogging conference and once I realized that they were going to the same place, immediately began working on getting them to meet each other! They both have such a gift with writing and such large followings that I just KNEW this would be a connection that at the very least would benefit their blogs and followers. This is one of those instances when I think that God is so big and the world is so small. Two people have a friend in common and meet at a location that neither lives in, both living 3,000 miles apart, all because I volunteered with YWAM 5 years ago. And I was right, now they are friends.

I would love for you to check out their sites:
Kendra’s site is called “Preschoolers and Peace” and you may visit it here.

Bri’s site is called “Our Savory Life” (about food and love) and you may visit it here. Bri also blogs for Compassion International and here is a link to their site.        

Well, that catches you up to my lunch time. I have no idea what is in store for the rest of the day. But one thing I do know, entertaining situations and interesting moments happen all the time, you just have to have your eyes open to the things happening around you and have command a good sense of humor.

Why not end this post with a funny clip from "The Office"? Here it is, another video I do not own:
 





3 comments: