Friday, February 8, 2013

Risk Taker


Risk Taker- Someone who risks loss or injury in the hope of gain or excitement.
I was recently asked in an interview the following question: “What would you change about yourself?”  Normally, I would have many answers for that question, but for whatever reason, I had one answer this time and it came close to immediately. I wish I was more of a risk taker.

I am going to want your input at the end, so pay attention. Living safely is fine, it is good, but to be honest…it is also boring, and right now I am bored. Now don’t get me wrong, I am EXTREMELY busy every day, for instance yesterday. I went to work, then to band practice and then to hang out with a couple of my high school girls, I left the house at 7:15am and I didn’t get home until after 9:30pm. I am not bored due to a lack of having things to do. I think that I am bored because I have done the same types of things for so long. I like the stuff I do, but I need some change.
As I started to think through this surprising desire or need for “risk” (for those not paying attention until now, I am NOT referring to the game Risk…though I do enjoy taking over the world), I started wondering if my recent life style of playing it safe is directly related to how I view God? I used to take risks. The last time was when I felt God tell me to go to Australia. I quit my job and left with only a plane ticket and ended up not only going to Australia, but also to Indonesia, and it changed my life. Here are a couple of pictures:
The Youth Leaders were creamed in a massive 100+ person food fight, I had no idea what was coming, but it was some sort of oatmeal, honey, food coloring mixture mess (AUS)
 
 We volunteered in the cafĂ© for the high school kid's events (AUS)

In Indonesia we hung out with the street kids, played games and tried to learn the language! (Indo)

We also got to play with the kids in the orphanage and help prepare a new building that was much larger! (Indo)
Side note: I cannot wait to adopt kids

But if this turned out so successfully, why don’t I take risks more often?  I have come up with two possibilities:

1. I don’t love something enough to take the risk to make it happen
2. I am too afraid of failure

Now I will respond to myself, excuse me while I expose you to some inner dialogue, self-diagnosis.

Both number 1 and number 2 have ultimately to do with fear. Fear to have passion or interests to pursue, or fear that things will not work out and that I’ll be stuck. But God doesn’t give or promote fear:
“But God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 2:7
In fact, I would venture to guess that when fear exists, it is because there is something missing in my belief system about God’s character, when I fear it means I do not trust him, nor do I believe Him or hear Him. So if I believe that fear is not of God, can I then walk in the opposite spirit and attempt to do the thing that causes timidity? I think so. Obviously, there are lines that need to be drawn here, I mean, it is ridiculous to do stupid things, so no, do not jump off your roof in hopes that you will fly. That is stupid. I am talking more about things like trying new hobbies, moving to a new country, going back to school, having “THAT conversation” with someone, those types of things.
Ok, I don’t have a great way to end this because this is subject matter that I am still processing through. This is the part I where I want your input, what do you think about risk? Maybe the ultimate question isn't about risk, but about loving something enough to risk loss or injury? What do you find valuable enough to take a risk? I am depending on you… as are many others reading this! So comment away!

Here is this week's video that I don't own!



 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Nothing much to add by way of comment, but a few things to keep you thinking.

    A few recent posts from Storyline that seem to touch on this theme. If not, then they are still good to read:
    http://storylineblog.com/2013/02/08/have-you-given-up-on-your-dreams/
    This one too: http://storylineblog.com/2013/01/30/a-community-out-of-a-neighborhood/

    These guys keep me thinking, laughing, blushing: http://theburiedlife.tumblr.com

    Keep the discussion going.
    Fletch

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved the thought of human flight, but ultimately I feared dying. Or surviving and becoming a vegetable. There was also the ignorant stereotype in my head that us afro Americans dont attempt such feats. But one fine day i sucked up my fear and jumpped off of a 450ft platform, trusting that the cords strapped to my ankles didnt snap. Sending me to my doom. I laughed hysterically mid jump. the instructor asked if I had ever done it. I lied to him and myself and jumped at 2,like I did'nt know how to count to 3. But man oh man, that was the freest I have ever felt in my entire existance.
    Now im looking to get my license to skydive. SQUARRLE SUIT HERE I COME.

    In your case. My suggestion would be to do something completely out of your comfort zone. What are you most afraid of? That'll probably get you headed in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fletch! I loved that blog on the lady bringing her community to her back yard, that is awesome!

    Chuck, I loved that you conquered a fear, it is so freeing! I think you have a good point, now to figure out what that is and what it looks like!

    ReplyDelete