Thursday, December 13, 2012

Awkwardness, I Own You


I will submit three definitions from the Encarta Dictionary:
1) Embarrassing and requiring great tact or skill to resolve
2) Lacking physical coordination and grace
3) Shy, uncomfortable, and embarrassed

There are so many forms of awkwardness, there are brief bouts of awkwardness that end quickly, for instance, grabbing into your purse for earplugs but flinging out a tampon instead. Please, that’s cake to me.  Or what about when you are in Starbucks on your laptop with the headphones plugged in while you blast your favorite Christmas music only to find minutes later you are not really plugged in and everyone had to “enjoy” your music…no, no they were not staring because you are hot. Or what about when you are at a youth camp and expected to be a mature “leader”, but end up with pictures like this all over Facebook:




 

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending if you are reading or writing this post), there are TONS where these pictures came from. These samples of awkwardness are not too hard to deal with; the situations just take some quick thinking, tact, and quick action.

There are other types of awkward situations that we bring upon ourselves, that are not as quickly fixed. My middle name is not Grace, so I should have known that 3 inch flip-flops for instance, no matter how “cool” or trendy they were, should have had a presupposition that popped up in my mind flashing that embarrassment was imminent. Likely this embarrassment would occur at school when the sidewalks were most trafficked, so that as I tripped, nay flew into a downward spiral into the street, it would not be the street that burned the knees, but the blush that burned the ears.

Or what about when you are minding your own business, working, reading, whatever, and a guy, no, no, “THE” guy comes up to say hi without you being ready. You never saw him coming. Instant flush-blush face. You know, when you flush out of surprise, and almost instantly realize that you flushed so it turns to a blush that doesn’t leave because, well you are stuck until he walks away. I mean, so they tell me.

All these situations are in and of themselves “awkward”. But this is what I have decided, awkward situations pass, but what they leave behind is a heart that is a little more compassionate and sensitive to what other people are feeling.  So, don’t worry about being awkward, especially YOU high schoolers and junior highers, you are just creating a lifestyle for future understanding, embrace it, laugh it off and get on with your lives!

Now when I see someone dump a latte on the floor (which to me is a tragedy more than awkward situation), I can grab a towel, lock eyes with them and communicate, “I understand.”

2 comments:

  1. I cannot stop laughing at that picture of you with your arms in the air!! For some reason, it is just TOO MUCH!!

    Love ya awkward girl!
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, since then, when ever any of the kids in the youth group talk about dancing, the look at me an put their hands in the air. It is now my signature move.

    ReplyDelete