Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Epic Songs


You know how a good song can make you run an extra mile, give you courage to do things you would not normally do, or bring you out of a weird funk? Conversely, a sad song has the power that can put you in a dark place instantly for quite a while? I have decided to share some music that I consider powerful, some of these pieces are insanely popular, but some you will not have heard before, listen to each one and broaden your musical taste.  I’ll ad a brief little note to give you some background on each piece, and will state right now, I am posting YouTube clips, none of which are mine.  I ask you to remember that I am defining “powerful” as a piece of music that evokes strong emotion, so keep an open mind. And finally, I am not giving you an exhaustive list, because in all reality, I will get board at some point and just end this. For the good music ideas you are welcome in advance.

 
Bohemian Rhapsody
Performed by British rock band, “Queen,” this song became popular long after it was first conceived. I \ don’t even know what to say about this song, though the word “epic” comes to mind. It has a little something thing for everyone, hard rock, opera, ballad, intense harmonies, emotion, and it is all wrapped up into one song. I am tempted to post the video of the intoxicated man singing the whole song in the back of a cop car, but then realized that if you hadn’t heard the real thing, you wouldn’t know how hard that is, sober. So here it the live performance by Queen:


 
The Halleluiah Chorus
When I was about 7 or 8 years old, my family attended the funeral for the daughter of my parent’s friends. The girl that passed away was only around 10 years old. The pastor that was officiating the ceremony said that the girl had written in her journal that if she ever died she wanted the Hallelujah Chorus to be sung at her funeral. So, about 200 people began to sing ALL of the parts of this song (with accompaniment) as they stood from their seats.  You may not know, but tradition dictates that you stand when the singing starts. The power of a large, mixed, audience standing in agreement already makes a powerful statement.  If you can imagine the power of hurting but loving people belting out all the parts to this gorgeous chorus, you will understand that no little amount of emotion was involved. I’ll never forget hearing it; it was the first time music brought tears to my eyes. I still get teary when I listen to it, like right now.  

I chose to upload this version as it may appeal to a larger audience:



Nessum Dorma
This is one of the most famous tenor arias, made popular by Luciano Pavarotti in 1990 when he sang it at a FIFA tournament (yes that is a soccer event) in Italy. Millions watched the event and were introduced to this gorgeous song.  Even if you have not seen the Italian opera Turandot, you cannot deny the passion portrayed through this short song. The lyrics in English are:

Nobody shall sleep!...
Nobody shall sleep!
Even you, o Princess,
in your cold room,
watch the stars,
that tremble with love and with hope.
But my secret is hidden within me,
my name no one shall know...
No!...No!...
On your mouth I will tell it when the light shines
And my kiss will dissolve the silence that makes you mine!...
(No one will know his name and we must, alas, die.)
Vanish, o night!

Set, stars! Set, stars!
At dawn, I will win! I will win! I will win!
Video: Nessum Dorma

 
Summertime
You better believe a vocal jazz piece made it to my list, and you better believe I am going to showcase the version song by the “Lady of Song,” the “Queen of Jazz,” Ella Fitzgerald (my all-time favorite singer). “Summertime” is a song composed by George Gershwin for the opera Porgy and Bess. It is one of the most covered songs of all times, so listen to it:

Video: Summertime

 
O Holy Night
Although deemed a Christmas song, this song has the lyrics and melody that demand attention any time it is played.  “The weary world rejoices...He knows our need, to our weakness is no stranger…All oppression shall cease…” I mean come on, this is amazing content, right?! To top it off, the melodic line ascends perfectly as the phrases become more emphatic, making it the perfect song for a singer to perform!


Requiem: Lacrimosa by W. Mozart
Larimosa is just one of the parts of the whole requiem, and while I literally can play the whole thing when I go for a drive, I will only post a link to this setion of the Requiem. “Lacrimosa” is latin for “weeping”, and you can hear the finality and sorry in the voices in this section of the Requiem. You may want to turn up the volume when you listen to this one, you need to feel it.

 
O Fortuna by Carl Orff
Ok, you may not think you know this song, you will likely recognize it because it is very popular background music in a lot of movies, its intense dissonance and extreme drive often takes us to an epic battle scene.

 
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Somehow this song both encompasses wistfulness, hope, and sadness at the same time. I love it and it seems to be a fitting end to a list of great songs, and the end of this post.


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment