Monday, December 31, 2012

More Good Stuff


We all want more good stuff.  I mean, you would be crazy to refuse if someone offered you more good stuff. So I have decided that when we say “no” to something good, it is probably because we don’t have the knowledge of what is being offered, OR, we don’t want to be uncomfortable and try new things.

I believe that Modesto has good stuff to offer. If we live here, let’s enjoy it! I think most negative conversations I have regarding this city are with people that don’t know what is offered here. I have personally been affected by the nation’s economic disaster, but I aim to show you the positives of this place so that we can re-build and invest here! Start trying new things, step out of your boring, restrictive box and get out there!

This past year I visited the Prospect Theater, a tiny little building located on the outskirts of the downtown area.  The Prospect Theater Project was brought to life by people who wanted a place to practice the arts on a regular basis. I visited on a night they had a poetry slam. I had NEVER been to a poetry slam before and was a little nervous because I thought it would be full of people snapping, dressed in gothic clothing, full of strong emotions and bad language…not my “typical" environment. I was partially right, but what I didn’t know was how freaking cool it was going to be. It was welcoming environment where people could be creative with words, an art form that I didn’t necessarily appreciate before (ironically, because I love to write).  Yes, there was some shocking content, but there was also some truth being spoken and truth is often shocking.  Visit their site here to read up on what else they offer.

Because I went to the Prospect Theater and had such a good time with this new experience, I decided go to the Ill List event with a friend earlier this month. This was a professional poetry slam (forgive me, poets, if I use the wrong lingo, I am a newbie!) that Modesto has been promoting for years! What the heck, I just hear about it now?! Needless to say, or rather I need to say, I am an instant fan. 8 poets from around the nation were invited to show their talent, and we were not disappointed. I heard some awesome poetry being performed and was thoroughly entertained and challenged. I got to mingle with people that I wouldn’t normally run into, you know how people get stuck in their “circle” of friends. Well I hate being stuck in one circle, I want to be a part of ALL of them, and so this was amazing! After the slam, the poets said that this is the only event in this style, and we have it here, Modesto!  This year’s winner was Carlos Robson, I am posting a piece he did at the Modesto slam, though the video was taken elsewhere. Take 3 minutes to watch it (I do not own this video), it is about an autistic boy and entitled “Amazing Grace”:


If you are interested in this type of thing, check out this freaking cool website I found a while back: www.p4cm.com
And as a bonus, watch this video which I sadly do not own, of my favorite ladies of word (with awesome hair):


 Hmmm, let me try:

The Ill List was rad,

I didn’t go last year, by bad.

But when my rhyming gets better,

I will perform words organized by letter,

For the betterment of my community,

Who knew it could be done through poetry?

Please forgive me this ditty,

But I just love this city!

Yeah, yeah, I guess I need a little work… it looks like I will “have” to attend these events more regularly for education and inspiration. And since I brought it up, why do you try something new, take someone with you and check out these types of events too?! I would love it if you posted some new things you have tried, or new local places you have visited so that we can check them out too! We will from this point on call them “Success Stories.”  Yeah, I dig it *snap, snap, snap*.



No comments:

Post a Comment